Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Ballad of the Developer


The Ballad of the Developer
 
I am driving along and what do I see
A for sales sign, 1,000 acres more or less, stuck on a tree
What good fortune I think, the location is great
A community to build, I now just can’t wait
New homes, parks and schools, all sorts of new places
How great for the town, I envision smiling faces
I engage engineers, planners, consultants galore
This place will be great, my spirits do soar
I meet with the city, to build a special place do I strive
But here come the locals, with fire in their eyes
Your development is not wanted
We don’t want you here
I try to show drawings, but am met with more jeers
I eventually settle, less homes and more trees
I want to work with the neighbors, a vision to please
It soon comes to pass, that all is approved
I have taken my lumps and my bruises, but now dirt will be moved
And the community does grow
It becomes part of the city
The townsfolk now love me, even think I am witty
Then along comes another, to add more of their own
Causing the new homeowners to now let out a groan
How dare you come here, we are fine as we are
To add to the city will just cause a scar
And I grin to myself as the circle is complete
At these new council hearings where I now have a seat
The past becomes present
We all deal with the sentiment
Everyone seems to forget, you can’t thrive without development

Until next time…

Keep kicking the dirt!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment